Saturday 18 August 2012

Goodbye Ghana - Hello Canada!


And all of a sudden, here I am on my last day in Accra. Our flight leaves at 9pm tonight, and I am extremely excited to get home and see all of my family and friends (and yes, partake in some Tim Horton’s treats!).

This has, as everyone predicted, been the adventure of a lifetime. Everyday had its ups and downs, and it was not all seeing elephants and eating FanIce; some days it was really difficult to be away from home. They say that homesickness is a good thing, because it means that you have a home worth missing – but that does not make it much easier! Some days were very long and hectic, when you just felt too hot and crowded and prayed to just be able to walk down the street without attracting attention. However, I gained experiences from this journey that I would not trade for the world. I have learned to problem-solve in a whole new way, to work in a professional environment in an entirely different culture, and I have been exposed to a world I never thought I would get to see in person. All of these experiences have challenged me mentally, emotionally, and physically, and for that I am grateful.

I feel as though I have become a very patient person. Frustration still happens of course, but not without perspective. When I found myself wanting to complain about a long trotro ride or foiled plans, it was not hard to remind myself that I am living in Africa for the summer, and things cannot always go as planned. Also, for every negative thing that may have happened, at least five positive things did. I would think “wow, I am tired”, but then remember that the day before I had hiked a waterfall, met a new friend, or even held a monkey. This made everything a bit easier. There was always something to look forward to or reflect happily on. It has never escaped me how lucky I am to be here in Ghana.

As much as I hate to admit it, I will miss walking down our massive hill each morning, as being greeted by neighbours and goats along the way was definitely worth it. I will miss laughing as we would squeeze into a trotro, buying food out of the windows of vehicles, and chatting up taxi drivers. I will miss being so close to a beach, and being able to travel from a busy city to a lush paradise each weekend. I will miss the acquaintances we would run into on our route each morning and our seamstresses; but most of all I will miss my colleagues at the Gender Centre. I felt truly welcomed and part of a family there, as if I had at least five mother figures at any given time willing to offer advice or assistance. Going to work each day only improved as we became closer to each person at the office, and I will definitely miss our chats with them every morning.

In short, almost every adjective could be used to describe this trip – exhausting, exhilarating, frustrating, thrilling, challenging, and even relaxing. It has gone very quickly (perhaps too quickly) and it will be strange to re-adjust to my Canadian lifestyle. I am very much looking forward to applying the knowledge and skills I have learned during my time in Ghana to my studies and my life in general as I enter my final year at Acadia. Thanks to everyone who has supported me throughout this process and who have read this blog and enjoyed it. I had lots of fun sharing my stories along the way, and I cannot wait to tell some in person!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment